Pages

Monday, September 18, 2006

By Our Actions Shall we be Known

The second reading this Sunday was from the Letter of James, and in it we have James 2:18 - "Indeed someone might say, 'You have faith and I have works.' Demonstrate your faith to me without works, and I will demonstrate my faith to you from my works." In other words, you can tell I have faith, because of the way I act.

We all like to have an image of ourselves - but it is the way we act that puts the truth to our image. Do we view ourselves as outgoing, but are uncomfortable speaking to someone we've just met? Do we say we believe in a healthy lifestyle, but yet go to McDonalds for lunch everyday?

We can say and think whatever we want about ourselves, but it is in what we actually do that the truth manifests itself.

So, the bigger question is, if people who call themselves followers of Islam, proclaim that they are a religion of peace, but yet, seem to be involved in a lot of violence in the name of that religion - what are we to believe? What we hear, or what we see?

No comments: