Pages

Monday, October 30, 2006

Holiday Creep

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas. (cue music)

What? Don't tell me you haven't noticed all the Christmas decorations in the stores. And it's still not Halloween yet.

The retailers say they do this so that it will get people in the mood to spend for Christmas. And while I love Christmas and do buy presents, and it's fun to see the first decorations of the season - I don't want to see them in September.

And the same goes for other holidays (and big sales events too.)

For example putting Back To School supplies in the stores the week after the kids get out of school is just plain cruel. At least let them get a chance to sleep in a few days first.

And Halloween candy - it's been on display in our grocery stores since August. I'm not buying my Halloween candy in August - thank you very much.

The problem is that it becomes invisible to me. I have to ignore it because it is just so ridiculous. And then, it's October 20 something and I realize I still need Halloween candy. It becomes such a habit to ignore it that the fact that I do eventually have to buy it slips my mind.

Now, I'm not likely to forget that I need to get Christmas presents - but I would appreciate the first decorations of the season so much more if they were - you know - actually seasonal. Jack Frost nipping at the nose - the leaves off the trees - and ooh look there are Christmas decorations in the store. Instead I find myself sighing and saying "already?" And then by the time Thanksgiving rolls around the decorations are looking faded and old. We're tired of them already - and we still have a month to go.

Oh well. That's just my little rant for the day.

And Merry Christmas - oops, I mean Happy Halloween (so hard to keep track anymore.)

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I've seen a few Christmas things here and there, and done the same sigh. But Lambertville is all decked out for Halloween, so I'm a happy camper as long as I avoid the stores.