Pages

Friday, April 13, 2007

Discovering the Joys of Mindless TV

I was discussing with my husband the other day the fact that our kids really don't watch TV. In fact, as of Wednesday, they had spent the majority of their Spring Break (which has been a little too chilly for too much outdoor fun) reading and playing the piano.

When I was a kid, I watched a lot more TV than they do. I would come home from school and watch The Flintstones, The Brady Bunch, Gilligan's Island. And other shows like that. Maybe these weren't ground-breaking thought-provoking television shows - but they were harmless - and they were fun.

But then, I realized, that Pippi and Harry don't have access to that much good clean TV. think a lot of these shows are still available on TV Land or similar channels. But we don't have cable - or satellite - or whatever. IWe just have a regular TV with an antenna on the roof. We get the broadcast stations and that's it. The kids have plenty of DVDs if they want to see something particular (like Harry Potter).

Enter AOL and it's In2TV site. Through the marvels of modern technology, we have now introduced the kids to the joys of mindless television. Yesterday, for the first time, they encountered Gilligan, the Skipper and the rest of the castaways from Gilligan's Island. They loved it, and watched three episodes. I think they'll be watching more today.

I certainly don't mind them watching some TV. I don't think they'll become TV junkies - partly because I won't let them have access to my laptop for too long. They like reading too much to want to watch TV all the time. But it is nice to have access to something for them to watch that I have no objection to them seeing.

Maybe today, I'll introduce them to the Flintstones.

No comments: