Pages

Sunday, January 28, 2007

What is Love?

We get the answer to that from today's second reading (1 Cor 13:4-8)

Love is patient, love is kind.
It is not jealous, it is not pompous,
It is not inflated, it is not rude,
it does not seek its own interests,
it is not quick-tempered, it does not brood over injury,
it does not rejoice over wrongdoing
but rejoices with the truth.
It bears all things, believes all things,
hopes all things, endures all things.

Love never fails.


So, do I love the way I should? I can simply insert "I am" for "Love is" and see if the statements are true.

I am not always patient, I am not always kind.
I am often quick-tempered, and sometimes I brood over injury.

I am not a perfect example of love.

But, God doesn't expect me to be.

God gave us Jesus as the perfect example of love. Insert "Jesus is" for "Love is" and you will see that every statement remains true.

What God wants from us is not perfection (who truly expects their child to be perfect?), but to strive for perfection.

So, I will try to be more patient, more kind, less quick-tempered.

I will try to love more.

No comments: