Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Big Questions...

... always come when they're supposed to be in bed. Did you ever notice that?

Anyway, tonight Pippi and I were looking at some old prayer books (the one I gave her for her first communion was given to me by my great-aunt on the occasion of my First Communion - and given to her by her mother (my great-grandmother) on her First Communion in 1917.) So the question was: In CCD we're taught to love God and to pray. I've got that down. I understand that, but it seems like there's a piece missing. What else are we supposed to do?

What else indeed? Isn't that kind of the main question of life?

So I reminded her of Jesus' commandments: Love God above all things. And what else?

"To love our neighbor as ourselves" she said.

That's it. I answered. That's the other thing. And not just saying you love them - I reminded - but actually doing things.

"Actions speak louder than words," she said.

"Exactly."

"Like giving to the poor. Like working in the food pantry?"

"Yes."

"I like doing that." she mused.

"And being patient with someone when you don't feel like it," I said. Thinking of how little patience she and her brother had for each other this afternoon.

"I have to work on that one."

Jesus said that whatever we do to the least of his brothers we do to him. We need to look for the Jesus in others and treat people accordingly. We love God by loving his children. It's a lesson I know I need reminders of from time to time. And as Lent quickly approaches, it's a very timely reminder indeed.

No comments: