Pages

Friday, October 10, 2008

Poetry Friday - another Fairy Tale Edition

This week I have another poem by my 11-year-old daughter (actually I have a whole bunch, but I'm going to parcel them out on Fridays). What happens when you take a familiar fairy tale and look at it from another point of view completely. Is it still Happily Ever After? (and I don't mind saying, when I read this poem I got goosebumps)

Happily Ever After?
by KRM

It was a cold
windy
night
and the wolf
had been slaughtered
by a wood-cutter.
Everyone was
living
Happily Ever After.
But Reuben
sulked, his back
against a tree
the wind whipped
around his fur.
Ice-cold tears
lined his eyes
of anger
He thought
of his
father
and his last
encounter
with him.
But now,
Gone.

Reuben looked
at the
sky, clouded
with
dark, menacing
clouds
The Forest
seemed
at rest
peaceful,
though
trees were
bending in a
Sixties dance,
and the wind
howled ferociously
the quaint
cottages were
at rest
oblivious to
Reuben
his story
or
his father.


The Poetry Friday Round-up is at Picture Book of the Day.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Love it! The imagery is fantastic...love the Sixties dance reference :) Brava!

Vivian Mahoney said...

Whoa! Pippi has quite the talent. I hope she tries to get her poems published!

PJ Hoover said...

Are you optioning movie rights?

Very nice!

Anne K said...

That's my granddaughter!! Fantastic!!!

Jim Danielson said...

I'll give her poem "5 WOWS" !!!

WOW
WOW
WOW
WOW
WOW

Jim Danielson