Pages

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Contemplation

There are times when I'm able to totally grasp the enormity of God's love for us. I can feel pure joy in the realization that God wants what is best for us at all times. I can praise Him with all my heart and soul.

These times are fleeting.

Not because I doubt His love the rest of the time. But because real life tends to intrude. And while dealing with children who are fighting or dealing with crazy drivers or waiting to check out at the supermarket, it's easy to not think about the enormity of God's love for us. It's easy to just get caught up in what we are doing at the times.

Sometimes I think it might be nice to be a contemplative nun. They can spend all their time letting their hearts and souls dwell on majestic things.

You know, though - I bet that even nuns in a contemplative order have trouble with real life intruding now and then. So the question becomes - how to think on the greater things when dealing with the little things. I wonder if there is an answer.

2 comments:

Jim Danielson said...

Sometimes I think our difficulty in dealing with everyday life is what shows how enormous that love is that can look past it all. It's a difficulty we can all work on, but should not be judgemental about for how others are doing (although I know I am). Just a Sunday reflection of how I can be a better person. Thanks for bringing up the subject.
JimD

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Sometimes I find that having certain "little things" around me helps. A finger rosary slipped into my pocket--I might not say the rosary per se, but when I put my hand in my pocket and touch that rosary, I will whisper a little prayer. A holy card on the windowsill. Any little reminder to keep your eyes on the Big Things even when you are dealing with Little Things. And remember the kitchen prayer:
Lord of all pots and pans and things,
Since I've no time to be a great saint by doing lovely things,
Or watching late with Thee,
Or dreaming in the dawnlight,
Or storming heaven's gates,
Make me a saint by getting meals,
And washing up the plates.

Warm all the kitchen with Thy Love,
And light it with Thy peace;
Forgive me all my worrying,
And make my grumbling cease.

Thou who didst love to give men food,
In room, or by the sea,
Accept the service that I do—I do it unto Thee."