Pages

Monday, September 03, 2007

Labor Day

The unofficial end of summer. The days are shorter, the nights are cooler. It's beginning to feel like 'back to school' time. And in two days, we will do just that - go back to school.

The kids are excited about the prospect. They are ready to see their friends again and get back to the routine - though homework is not part of the routine they care for. The two of them have spent most of the summer together. All the time together. I'm delighted they get along as well as they do, but the good-will is wearing thin. I think being separated for 6 hours a day will be a very good thing for them.

I'll get to run errands on my own. I'll have time for writing. These are positive things. But at the same time going back to school means making sure everyone is up on time - and dressed - and teeth are brushed. It means lunches in lunchboxes and making sure a nutritious breakfast is eaten in a timely manner. It means watching the clock - for getting them to school and getting them home again. It means reminders about homework and clarinet practice. It means more rushing when there is hockey practice or a game at night.

I'm not sure I'm ready for my summer vacation to end!

Hope everyone enjoyed their labor day weekend.

No comments: