Pages

Friday, September 07, 2007

Madeleine L'Engle - R.I.P.

The world of books was richer because she was in it. Madeleine L'Engle wrote more than 60 books for children and adults - some science fiction, some religious, some meditative: something for everyone.

The world will be a poorer place now that she has left us. Madeleine L'Engle died yesterday at the age of 88. Reading her books I felt like I knew her; now I will mourn her.

There are blog tributes to her at Big A little a, Wands and Worlds, and AmoXcalli and probably many more that I haven't seen yet - and many more to come.

I don't know what my favorite book of hers was - I have read a lot of them (though probably not all). A Wrinkle in Time of course is a perennial favorite. But I also really like Love Letters and Certain Women. And Two Part Invention. And A Circle of Quiet. And The Other Side of the Sun. And A Swiftly Tilting Planet. And ... I could go on and on - but I won't.

No comments: