Pages

Friday, September 21, 2007

Poetry Friday - New Friends



When I was a child I had a cloth calendar from the year I was born hanging in my room. There was a pretty picture on it (that for the life of me I can't remember what it was of) and a verse from the following poem.

So the adage, "Make new friends, but keep the old" was never far from my consciousness. Though, I will admit, as a child, I felt insulted that "new" things didn't seem to be as important as "old" things. After all, I was young - I was "new".

Anyway, this poem came to mind again this week because I met two new friends. A few "Jersey Girl" bloggers met at The Reo Diner and had a pleasant few hours talking together. Barb and Ellen are as friendly and warm as you would imagine from reading their blogs, and I feel very blessed that I got to meet them in real life. So - here's to new friends!

Make New Friends, But Keep The Old
author unknown

Make new friends,
but keep the old.
One is silver,
the other is gold.

A circle is round,
it has no end.
That's how long,
I will be your friend.

A fire burns bright,
it warms the heart.
We've been friends,
from the very start.

You have one hand,
I have the other.
Put them together,
We have each other.

Silver is precious,
Gold is too.
I am precious,
and so are you.

You help me,
and I'll help you
and together
we will see it through.

The sky is blue
The Earth is green
I can help
to keep it clean

Across the land
Across the sea
Friends forever
We will always be


The poetry roundup is at Read Write Believe.

10 comments:

Cindy said...

I was just thinking about this poem the other day. I only knew the first stanza though. Thanks for sharing the rest!

Anonymous said...

Gah! That's a Girl Scout song (a round, no less) -- and now it won't leave my head!!

Oh. Right. It's also nice sentiment. But I wish the Girl Scouts singing it repeatedly, in round form, in my brain, would stop.

christine M said...

See - I was a "Brownie" drop-out, so I never sang this in Girl Scouts!

PJ Hoover said...

I love this one! I'll have to learn the whole thing!

Ellen said...

Christine - what a wonderful post. I enjoyed meeting you on Wednesday. It was such fun to get to meet the face behind the blog.

I too remember that verse from Girl Scouts. Did our conversations prompt you to choose this?

Any way, I hope we can get together again and share some time, stories and worship together.

Anonymous said...

I love all these extra verses. How lovely.

Sara said...

A round! Did you know I was going to blog about poetry circles today? I find my old friendships are like circles; they don't go in a straight line, but expand and contract and come back to me throughout the years.

Anonymous said...

Girl Scouts! That's exactly where I knew this one from. Maybe Kelly F. and I were in the same troop? Oh, the days of sit-upons.

Karen Edmisten said...

How sweet, Christine! New friends and old ... that's the story of our lives (as we keep having good friends move away!)

ukok said...

I must try not to be evious that you met Barb!

Glad you had such a fab time :-)