Pages

Friday, September 14, 2007

Poetry Friday - Evensong


As the days get shorter and the air becomes crisper, this poem seems more and more appropriate.

Evensong
by Robert Louis Stevenson

The embers of the day are red
Beyond the murky hill.
The kitchen smokes: the bed
In the darkling house is spread:
The great sky darkens overhead,
And the great woods are shrill.
So far have I been led,
Lord, by Thy will:
So far I have followed, Lord, and wondered still.

The breeze from the enbalmed land
Blows sudden toward the shore,
And claps my cottage door.
I hear the signal, Lord - I understand.
The night at Thy command
Comes. I will eat and sleep and will not question more.


Vailima.
The round-up this week is over at HipWriterMama.

2 comments:

Saints and Spinners said...

Good words. Thank you.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

I needed to hear these words today. Thank you.