Pages

Monday, April 23, 2007

Good Night, Sweet Prince

Harry hates to go to sleep. He does whatever he can to avoid it. That usually means that he doesn't stop physically moving until he is actually asleep. And often it means he doesn't stop talking (or singing) until then either.

He claims he's nocturnal. Maybe he has something there.

Once, a few years ago, he actually sang himself to sleep. He was lying on the floor (he maintained it was more comfortable than his bed - and whatever - I just wanted him to fall asleep - at that point, I didn't care where) and he was singing when I walked past his room. I walked by again about a minute later and he was fast asleep.

But what he really likes is for me to sing to him at night. (This doesn't happen too often). When he was a baby and I'd try to sing to him, he'd put his hand over my mouth. Okay - fine, I got the message. But, now he likes it. And there is one song in particular he likes. "Too-ra-loo-ra-loo-ra" - also known as "An Irish Lullaby." I only sing him the refrain, because it's the only part I know. And if I'm not available to sing it to him, he's been known to sing it to himself.

So, I sing him a verse or two when I can, because he's seven years old now - and it won't be long before he won't want me singing to him (just like when he was a baby.)

Too-ra-loo-ra-loo-ral, Too-ra-loo-ra-li,
Too-ra-loo-ra-loo-ral, hush now, don't you cry!
Too-ra-loo-ra-loo-ral, Too-ra-loo-ra-li,
Too-ra-loo-ra-loo-ral, that's an Irish lullaby.

The full song can be found here.

2 comments:

Sweetness and Light said...

Oh this brings tears to my eyes, Christine! What a little sweetie. My Matthias (now 8) started singing WITH me at age two when I would rock him to sleep and he's SO musical, plays piano by ear, and harmonica, and whatever else we can afford to get him!! There's something about music for these ones that's like an angel kiss! I hope you had a good night's sleep too! Blessings!

christine M said...

He is a very musical little boy - and always has been. And you know what, I did get a good night sleep too!