Pages

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Fun on the Fourth


Yeah, I'm a little behind in posting some things.

We spent the Fourth of July at the Kutztown Folk Festival. Aside from the rain - which didn't quite seem to want to let up - but was never actually a down pour - we had a great time. There are so many things to see and do there.

One thing we did was stop by this tent where a gentleman was teaching whoever stopped by how to play the guitar. He'd show them how to hold it, and teach a few chords. By the end of the ten minute lesson a novice would have played Old MacDonald.

Harry loves his guitar, but he was reluctant to go in and see the guitars on display. The man was friendly and inviting. "Come on in," he says, "Have a seat." He hands Harry a guitar. Pippi sits down and he gets her one as well. My husband and I opted just to watch.

While he's showing Pippi how to hold the guitar (she's a clarinet player, she hasn't tried the guitar before) Harry starts playing Malaguena. This guys head spun around so fast I had to laugh. He turned back to Pippi and said "Did you know that was going to happen?"

She had to admit she did.

So this wonderful gentleman had Harry help him teach Pippi how to play the guitar. And then he mentioned that if you play those three chords in reverse it's the opening of Sweet Home Alabama. Well, that's a song that Harry has been listening to a lot (by a lot I mean setting his CD player on repeat and listening to the same song for more than an hour at a time - usually until I go in and turn it off because I just can't take it anymore). So we said Harry liked that song. And also Freebird.

"Oh," says the instructor. "If you can play Freebird you've got it made."

"He can play Freebird," I said.

So Harry started, and the instructor joined in and sang along.

And Pippi learned to play Old MacDonald.

I don't think the instructor minded being sand-bagged by us all that much. I guess he doesn't get too many kids in his tent who can play Freebird.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

Get him to learn Stairway to Heaven also, and the girls will flock to him. Yeah, I know - this is just what he wants.

Ellen said...

Ooh, do you think Harry would teach me to play guitar? I always wanted to play some musical instrument, but alas, I am pretty tone deaf when it comes to music.

Look forward to seeing you next week.

Vivian Mahoney said...

Chris, PJ has a point. I'd also suggest a little James Taylor for the sensitive guy image.

Fun story!

christine M said...

Yeah - 8-year-olds aren't too into having the girls flock to them. But... in a couple of years - he'll be ready!

And Ellen, we look forward to seeing you too! I'll see if Harry wants to bring his guitar when we come. :)

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Christine, I was going to ask if Harry would bring the guitar. I was telling Little Brother that Harry can play Freebird--so Little Brother already thinks he's awesome without even meeting him!!