Pages

Monday, October 01, 2007

Go Forth and Spread the Word

I got an interesting letter in the mail today. It was addressed to "our neighbors" with a return address from another part of town. I figured it was a solicitation for a charity, so I opened it up.

I was surprised to find, not a request for money, but a hand-written letter from the Jehovah Witnesses.

Here is what it said:

Hello Neighbor:

We wanted to clear this up once and for all. Maybe you can pass the word along. People rarely take the time it seems to find out for themselves why we do what we do. Most just shut the door with a wave. Sometimes worse. Still we continue.

The Bible says love they neighbor which is where you come in and what we are trying to do. It also says that God wants man to share his word. It reads at Acts 10:42 preach to the people and to give a thorough witness. Then at Acts 20:20 Jesus tells us how -- and while I did not hold back from telling you publicly or from house to house -- so you see, we're just following the will of God.

When people ask are you Jehovah Witnesses we have to say "we're trying to be" but with all the negativity we encounter the work is not easy. We are offering to all we meet free home Bible studies. So when we do find an honest hearted one it makes all this effort with while.

God's word, the Bible, is truly a blessing to all that partake. So if you or someone you know would like to see just how much our creator loves us, to give us so much comfort, and understanding through life's challenges.. we can help. That's all we had to say. Thank you for listening.

I must say, that when the Witnesses - and the Mormon's also - have come to the door, I am always willing to engage in a short conversation (okay, once I was on my way out and trying to get toddlers ready, so not so willing that time). But, I am strong in my faith and will not be converted. So I can assure them that I know God loves me and all that.

I must honestly say I don't really understand Jehovah's Witnesses. But, I thoroughly admire their willingness to go door to door and try to tell people something that a lot of people don't really want to hear. I don't have the courage to do that.

They are right, Jesus did tell us to go and preach his word to others. Good for them for trying to do just that. It's too bad that I never seem to have the words that would convert these brave people to Catholicism. Imagine having witnesses like that talking up the Catholic Church!

So when all is said and done, I don't agree with their view of religion, but I sure admire their willingness to witness to others. I just never thought they'd do it through the mail!

2 comments:

EC Gefroh said...

Can you just imagine if Catholics had the same zeal as the JWs had for evangelizing?

christine M said...

It would be amazing, wouldn't it?