Pages

Monday, June 02, 2008

Tourist in Aisle Six

New Jersey has a lot of tourist attractions (no, really - it does). There's the fabulous Jersey shore, there are the mountains in the north, the pine barrens in the south. There are historic villages and fun museums. And when you are at these tourist attractions you expect people with cameras.

Where I don't expect people with cameras is my local supermarket (and it's not the one that had the truffles, this is the other one). But that's what I saw today. And although it may be stereotypical, I must say - it was a group of Japanese tourists. They were taking pictures in the produce aisle - picking up the broccoli and admiring it and taking a close up; the snack food aisle - really any where and everywhere.

It was a little disconcerting. But it did make me look at the super market with new eyes. It's a pretty nice place with a lot of variety and all attractively arranged. I don't think I'll be taking pictures of it anytime soon - but I will be sure to appreciate it.

And lest you think I'm joking and they weren't tourists - their Skyliner charter bus was in the parking lot.

Though, I do have to wonder - with all the great things to see and do in New Jersey - what the heck were they doing in Shop-Rite? I hope they go someplace a little more fun later.

No comments: