Pages

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Writing Wednesday - NaNoWriMo

Okay, I decided to plunge ahead and do NaNoWriMo this year. Not familiar with it? It's National Novel Writing Month. Yes, that's right. The goal is to take the month of November and write a 50,000 word novel.

It's first draft territory - no worrying about editing or making sure every word or every scene is perfect - just getting the words on paper (or on the computer screen in most cases).

Unfortunately I can't commit for the entire month, so I have to try to finish 50,000 words a bit earlier than that. I'm not sure I'll meet the goal. But what the heck, I can try anyway.

The best thing though is that NaNoWriMo has a Young Writer's program. And Pippi has signed up (under the name Jinx, if anyone wants to be her buddy). She is totally into it. Kids get to set their own word goal - and for sixth graders the recommended goal was between 6,000 and 12,000. She chose 11,000 since she is 11. Seemed reasonable. She already has over 2,000 words (she's ahead of me!). She may update her goal. She's been involved in the forums and is really loving this. She's always loved to write and I like how this is really focusing her attention on one project for awhile (which of course is largely the whole point of NaNoWriMo)

So are you doing NaNoWriMo?

1 comment:

Vivian Mahoney said...

Good luck, Chris and Pippi!