Pages

Friday, February 29, 2008

Poetry Friday


Once again it's Poetry Friday. I suppose I could have tried to find a poem that celebrates Leap Year or February or Winter or something, but the poem that leapt to my mind today was this one by A. A. Milne. No particular reason for it - but when a poem leaps to my mind I figure I better use it - it doesn't happen that often (and did you notice my judicious use of the word Leap on this Leap Day?)

Us Two
by A.A. Milne

Wherever I am, there's always Pooh,
There's always Pooh and Me.
Whatever I do, he wants to do,
"Where are you going today?" says Pooh:
"Well, that's very odd 'cos I was too.
Let's go together," says Pooh, says he.
"Let's go together," says Pooh.

"What's twice eleven?" I said to Pooh.
("Twice what?" said Pooh to Me.)
"I think it ought to be twenty-two."
"Just what I think myself," said Pooh.
"It wasn't an easy sum to do,
But that's what it is," said Pooh, said he.
"That's what it is," said Pooh.

"Let's look for dragons," I said to Pooh.
"Yes, let's," said Pooh to Me.
We crossed the river and found a few-
"Yes, those are dragons all right," said Pooh.
"As soon as I saw their beaks I knew.
That's what they are," said Pooh, said he.
"That's what they are," said Pooh.

"Let's frighten the dragons," I said to Pooh.
"That's right," said Pooh to Me.
"I'm not afraid," I said to Pooh,
And I held his paw and I shouted "Shoo!
Silly old dragons!"- and off they flew.

"I wasn't afraid," said Pooh, said he,
"I'm never afraid with you."

So wherever I am, there's always Pooh,
There's always Pooh and Me.
"What would I do?" I said to Pooh,
"If it wasn't for you," and Pooh said: "True,
It isn't much fun for One, but Two,
Can stick together, says Pooh, says he. "That's how it is," says Pooh.


Kelly Fineman is hosting the Poetry Friday Round-up this week. And next week the round up will be here! (I better get ready!)

1 comment:

Barrie said...

I do love AA Milne. And, yes, I did notice your use of the word "leap". Very brilliant!