Pages

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Fourteen Years on the Fourteenth



Fourteen years ago the weather was perfect. The temperature was somewhere in the low seventies. There was a light breeze. The sun shone. My brothers cut dashing figures in their tuxedos. My grandfather led them in song in the backyard - practicing for the songs he planned to sing at the reception. I'd spent the night at my parents' house - as had some of my best girlfriends; girls who lived too far to drive home after the rehearsal dinner and back again Saturday morning.

It was a day preceded by nearly fourteen months of planning; there'd been a dress to choose; a hall; a DJ (he came with the hall, that part was easy); main courses and appetizers; flowers; gifts for the wedding party; readings for Mass; songs.

And then the day came. And I married my best friend.

And life didn't come to an end after all that planning (though there were times it was hard to believe that a 15th of May really existed - after all, all roads led to May 14, 1994) life went on.

Because May 14th may have been the end of the planning; but it was the beginning of the marriage.

The card I got my husband today says "Forever is too short a time for me to spend with you." And that just feels so very true. I can't imagine not being with him. I feel so blessed.

Here's the song we were dancing to:



Oh - and I know of at least two others celebrating their fourteenth anniversary today: Amy at Epiphany Springs and Lissa at Here in the Bonny Glen. Go wish them a happy day!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to you and your beloved husband! And may there be many more years of marriage to come!

Unknown said...

Happy happy to you, anniversary twin! You look beautiful in that photo!

Jane (a.k.a. patjrsmom) said...

A very, very happy anniversary to you! May is a most excellent month for a wedding!

God Bless,
Jane

christine M said...

Thank you all!

PJ Hoover said...

Happy Anniversary!
You look great!

Liz B said...

Happy anniversary!

Kelly said...

Happy Anniversary! Here's to more good years :) Love the photo!

EC Gefroh said...

Happy Anniversary Chris!

kristen said...

Happy Anniversary. Of course the weather was nice, you didn't get married on May 18th.

christine M said...

Thanks, everyone! And Kris - I don't know what to tell you about the 18th. There's rain in the forecast again. Maybe you guys should have gotten married on Ted's birthday! It never rains that day!

Ellen said...

Congrats on your anniversary - I hope you have many more.

Unknown said...

Congratulations!

Anne K said...

Congratulations on your 14th anniversay. That day and all the preparations are very good memories. Mom

Vivian Mahoney said...

What a romantic card from your husband! Happy Belated Anniversary and may you have many, many more!

Patty Palmer said...

Awww...congratulations on 14 years of marriage! Certainly not an easy thing to do.