Pages

Monday, May 15, 2006

Baby Bird

The Robin family decided that the holly tree directly next to our front door was a fine place for their home.

There were three blue eggs in the nest, but so far only definite evidence of one baby bird (though my daughter believes there are two.)

The baby robin, hatched only a week or so ago is really growing quite big, as you can see in the picture.

What I love is when the baby decides it wants food. It opens it's mouth wide, pointing straight up in the air and makes a little chirpy noise.

Now the bird does this whether the mother is anywhere around with food to give it or not. Sometimes I think when we open our front door the baby thinks her mother has come back. Because that is when she (he? who knows) starts to beg for food. (I couldn't get a picture of that, I wasn't quick enough.)

But the bird has total faith that if he (she?) opens his mouth and asks for food, food will eventually be provided.

Ask and ye shall receive. I think I've heard that somewhere before.

1 comment:

Anne K said...

Chris,

I love your story and the picture is great. I seem to remember something about ask and receiving too. MMMM have to think about this. Mom