Pages

Sunday, May 21, 2006

What I've Learned from Watching T-Ball

I must admit, I've never been much of a sports person, but my son is, so I'm learning.

This is our second year of t-ball, and I've learned a lot I didn't know about baseball. For example:
  • Baseball is a tackle sport. If someone else from your team has the ball, then do whatever you can to get it from him or her.
  • The one with the ball wins. It's not so much who hits the ball, or runs the bases, it's all about who ends up with the ball in the field.
  • Running the bases in the right direction is optional. If you head the wrong way, someone will turn you around.
  • The fastest is the best. When running bases, and it's the last hitter and everyone gets to run home, don't worry about passing the people on the other bases. First one home wins.
Now, I know these are 4, 5 and 6 year olds. And they'll get the hang of it as they grow. They'll eventually learn to throw the ball to a teammate (some of them understand that now). They'll understand that only one person in the field is required to get the ball, and the rest don't have to chase him down. They'll automatically head to first base when they hit the ball (and leave the bat behind too.) They'll learn that it's not a foot race and you can't pass your teammates while running bases.

They'll learn all that, but it won't be nearly as amusing to watch.

No comments: