Pages

Saturday, June 09, 2007

Conversations with a Young Boy

Boy, throwing a ball up in the air in the living room.
Me: Don't throw the ball in the house.
Boy: I'm not throwing it, I'm tossing it.

Me: Throw out the rest of your hot dog if you don't want it.
Boy - from a distance of several feet away from the garbage can winds up to throw.
Me: No!
Boy: But you said to THROW it out.

Boy pushing his feet on back of driver's seat while I'm driving.
Me: Stop kicking the seat.
Boy: I'm not kicking the seat.
Me: Stop pushing on the seat with your feet.
Boy: I'm not pushing on the seat.
Me: Whatever it is you are doing with your feet. Stop it.

Does anyone else have conversations like this? Please tell me I'm not alone.

7 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

Have you been eavesdropping on my house? How else would you be able to quote. Ok, ours is more like
"Don't tickle me."
"I'm not tickling you. I'm patting you in the armpit."
"Don't pat me in the armpit. Don't tickle me. Don't do anything that remotely feels like tickling me."

EC Gefroh said...

Oh yeah! Ever since my ds was 5 years old. I notice my nieces and nephews retort in a similar fashion. It usually stops when I give them the evil eye look :-)

christine M said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one!

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

How old is this child?
We do this all the time in my house. Drives me NUTS.
I keep threatening to break out the Brady Bunch "exact word" episode...

christine M said...

The young boy in question is seven.

Suzanne said...

You are not alone. Mine is 7 also and is just as precise in his speech when it suits him. What amazes me is that he has only been in an English-speaking country for nine months and can be this exacting with the language already. Can you imagine when he gains proficiency?

Saints and Spinners said...

One of my favorite lines EVER from a picture-book comes from Now Everybody Really Hates Me, by Jane Read Martin: "I did not hit Theodore. I touched him hard."