Pages

Friday, June 08, 2007

Poetry Friday

Happy Poetry Friday. I stumbled upon this poem today, and it just captures the essence of children reading and- at least my children - and myself as a child. And so I had to share.

Envoy for A Child's Garden of Verses
by Robert Louis Stevenson

Whether upon the garden seat
You lounge with your uplifted feet
Under the May's whole Heaven of blue;
Or whether on the sofa you,
No grown up person being by,
Do some soft corner occupy;
Take you this volume in your hands
And enter into other lands,
For lo! (as children feign) suppose
You, hunting in the garden rows,
Or in the lumbered attic, or
The cellar - a nail-studded door
And dark, descending stairway found
That led to kingdoms underground:
There standing, you should hear with ease
Strange birds a-singing, or the trees
Swing in big robber woods, or bells
On many fairy citadels:


For the rest of the poem go here.

HipWriterMama is hosting Poetry Friday today, so go see some great poems. The Round-up will be here next week. Hopefully I'll be able to figure out the Mr. Linky thing.


Just click on the button to head to the Poetry Friday round-up.

3 comments:

Vivian Mahoney said...

What a lovely poem! I don't think I've ever read this one. Thanks for sharing this one.

The Mr. Linky thing is easy. I'll send you an e-mail on it. My question to you is how did you get a small Poetry Friday button on your post? I can't figure out how to get my button smaller.

Laura said...

WOW - I just discovered this "Poetry Friday" and I'm so delighted that I did. I read the entire poem you posted here outloud (I'm a poetry purist; it should always be read aloud) and it's breathtaking. Haunting at the end. I'd never read that Stevenson before.
Thank you!

christine M said...

I'm glad you like this poem - I just discovered it today! See what poetry Friday does for us - it expands our horizons!