Pages

Monday, March 03, 2008

The Favorite Parable Meme

Barb at SFO Mom tagged me for this meme. The rules are simple and straightforward:

1. You name your five favorite parables
2. You tag one blogger per parable.
3. It would be nice if you linked back to this post.

I'm sure that as soon as I come up with five and hit publish I'll think of another that I really like, but I'll give it a go:

1. The Prodigal Son (Luke 15: 11-32) -- I particularly like that the father notices him coming from a long way off - meaning that the father has been looking out for him.

2. The Parable of the Workers in the Vineyard (Matthew 20:1-16) -- I think part of why I like this has to do with an old Arch book (the title of which escape me right now, but which does not appear to be currently available) which has the vineyard owner having an assistant who is constantly barging in on the vineyard owner while he tries to relax, with the line "it's Hector your helper" - something about that book, and Hector, made it a fun read aloud. -- And I like the story too, of course.

3. The Mustard Seed. (Matthew 13:31-32) - there's just something very reassuring to know that it doesn't take a lot of faith to accomplish things. So, even if we feel that our faith is small, a little goes a long way.

4. The Lost Sheep (Luke 15:4-7) - another reassuring one. God will come looking for us when we're lost. We're never on our own.

5. The Good Samaritan (Luke 10:30-37) - the quintessential story to demonstrate our duty to our fellow man.

And now to tag: Karen, Ellen, Alice, Patjrsmom, and Anne(my Mom, who just started her own blog this weekend - this will give her a jump start).

1 comment:

Athanasis Contra Mundum said...

I had never thought about the Prodigal Son that way. He must have been waiting for him.