Pages

Monday, May 14, 2007

Good Mood Monday

Sometimes it's all about going slow enough to notice things. When I was a child I had a picture book in which the main character stopped to notice a butterfly, and the story went on to say that grown-ups just don't notice things like that.

I decided there and then that I wanted to be the kind of grown-up who would notice a butterfly. And lots of times I do. Sure, sometimes we're in a rush, and have lots of things on our minds, and naturally, the little things may slip by unnoticed, but how much more special life is when we do notice those things.

Having a robins nest outside our living room window and next to the front door is making us all slow down and notice things. If we go in or out, we always stop to see what the birds are up to - and often we just stop by the front window for a peak.

Yesterday I saw the mother bird holding a worm above two open little beaks waiting for food. It's such a beautiful thing to witness.

Walking home from bringing the kids to school this morning I saw our goose family - the goslings are growing fast. The parents were walking behind, guiding them, as we do with our own children. I saw two rambunctious squirrels race straight up adjoining trees.

There's a lot out there in this beautiful world, and a gorgeous spring day is a perfect time to pay attention to it.

And so despite the children being in bad moods this morning, I'm in a good mood - but maybe that has something to do with the fact that today is my 13th wedding anniversary and I'm lucky enough to be married to my best friend.

If anyone else wants to post a Good Mood Monday message I'll link to you, if you leave me a comment.

1 comment:

Vivian Mahoney said...

What a lovely post. Happy Anniversary! Hope you have a wonderful day.