Pages

Monday, May 28, 2007

In Memory of All Who Served and Sacrificed

It's Memorial Day today, and lest we begin to think the day is all about barbecues and sales and the beach, let's take a moment to really remember the soldiers who have sacrificed everything so that we can live the life we do in this country.

When I was younger a found this poem, and copied it out.
I found it now at the American Heritage Library, there are a lot of good poems for Memorial Day there - go and check it out.

The Unknown Soldier
by Billy Rose

There's a graveyard near the White House
Where the Unknown Soldier lies,
And the flowers there are sprinkled
With the tears from mother's eyes.

I stood there not so long ago
With roses for the brave,
And suddenly I heard a voice
Speak from out the grave:

"I am the Unknown Soldier,"
The spirit voice began,
"And I think I have the right
To ask some questions man to man.


Please go here and read the rest of the poem.

No comments: