Pages

Friday, October 26, 2007

Poetry Friday - The Raven


With Halloween just around the bend, my thoughts turn to things like poems by Poe. And while pondering what poem to use today, I was also thinking about the post I intend to write about my continued touring of London. And that post will mention the Tower of London. And the Tower of London has Ravens. And so - there you have it - the thought process that led to today's poem.

The Raven
by Edgar Allen Poe

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
"'Tis some visitor," I muttered, "tapping at my chamber door-
Only this, and nothing more."


For the rest of the poem, go here.

The poetry round-up today is at Literary Safari.

4 comments:

John Mutford said...

I posted this poem for Poetry Friday last week, but I love the poem so much I'm glad to see it again! You might also be interested to take the scariness poll I attached to it.

christine M said...

I thought it seemed familiar - that must be where I got the idea for it

tanita✿davis said...

It's still not scary! But it's so creepy...

Anonymous said...

i loved hearing about your thought process for picking your poem. the raven is *always* a good poem to read, no matter how many times. have you seen the illustrated version from kids can press? check it out here