Pages

Monday, October 29, 2007

Thankful for the Walk to School

Whenever the weather is nice enough I walk my children to school. It's about a half-mile - roughly 15 minutes at kids-walking-to-school speed.

I'm thankful because I can walk. And my children can walk. I'm thankful because we live in a neighborhood where I feel it is safe to walk. And because the walk is past a lovely creek where we can see Canada Geese and Mallard ducks pretty much year round - and sometimes an Egret or turtles. I'm thankful because it gives me a chance to talk to the kids about any variety of things.

And I'm also thankful that when it's rainy or very cold, I have a car, and can drive them to school.

2 comments:

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

That is a great thing to celebrate. You do have a beautiful route for walking to school. I think you're giving your children wonderful memories that they will keep forever.

Ellen said...

I agree with Barb, you have a wonderful route to walk your children along. II bet it's even prettier with the leaves changing. It is such a shame that in many towns, mine included, you can't walk to school because of highways and neighorhoods with no sidewalks. I walked to school and it was a wonderful way to start and end each day.