Pages

Friday, October 19, 2007

Poetry Friday - Tomorrow


The kids and I have started reading some Shakespeare again. And while we are starting with Hamlet, Pippi and I were looking over Macbeth the other day. And I came upon this quote - which I had to memorize in High School - and still know.

To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow; a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing. --From Macbeth (V, v, 19), by William Shakespeare.


And then when I was heading this post, it made me think of the song Tomorrow from Annie

The sun will come out, tomorrow
Bet your bottom dollar
That tomorrow, there'll be sun
Just thinkin' about, tomorrow
Clears away the cobwebs and the sorrow
til there's none

When I'm stuck with the day thats gray and lonely
I just stick out my chin and grin and say, ohhh

The sun will come out, tomorrow
So you gotta hang on til tomorrow
Come what may...


go here for rest of lyrics.

It really is just a matter of perspective. Isn't it?

The poetry Friday round-up is over at Kelly Fineman's place.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love Macbeth. And how timely the witches are for Halloween! (It's a rare example of trochaic tetrameter for its time period, btw. And Queen Mab uses much more dignified version (full trochees in all four feet) than do the witches, particularly in unison, when they truncate the last foot).