Pages

Friday, October 12, 2007

Poetry Friday - Wind


The summer like days of earlier in the week gave way to torrential downpours yesterday and bright sunshine and lots of wind today (and temperatures twenty degrees lower than Monday)

So in honor of the wind that blows my front door open if I don't shut it tightly enough here is a little Robert Louis Stevenson for poetry Friday.

The Wind
by Robert Louis Stevenson

I saw you toss the kites on high
And blow the birds about the sky;
And all around I heard you pass,
Like ladies' skirts across the grass--
O wind, a-blowing all day long,
O wind, that sings so loud a song!

I saw the different things you did,
But always you yourself you hid.
I felt you push, I heard you call,
I could not see yourself at all--
O wind, a-blowing all day long,
O wind, that sings so loud a song!

O you that are so strong and cold,
O blower, are you young or old?
Are you a beast of field and tree,
Or just a stronger child than me?
O wind, a-blowing all day long,
O wind, that sings so loud a song!


The Poetry Friday round up is at Two Writing Teachers.

2 comments:

Vivian Mahoney said...

I always forget how much I like Stevenson's poems until I read them again. Thanks for sharing.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

We've had a lot of wind and much cooler temps the past two days as well. I was beginning to wonder when it would come, but Oh yes! The cold wind is here now! Lovely poem.