Pages

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Last Minute Shopping Starts Now

How did this happen? Why does it feel like I'm running out of time to make preparations for Christmas - and it isn't even December yet?

Advent starts this weekend. Advent. The four week (or in this case, three and a little bit) period of preparation for Christmas. Why isn't four weeks enough? Why do we start getting ready in October?

If you have to buy someone a birthday present - do you make sure you get it taken care of a month in advance? Not usually.

I was worrying today that I hadn't done anything about my Christmas cards yet. It's not even December yet!

But a quick look at my calendar gives me some idea why the pressure is on: Christmas parade this Sunday, Pippi Christmas caroling with the JCDA on the 14th, the family going to see the musical Annie on the 14th. Christmas tree probably going up on the 15th. Chorus concert at school on the 18th. My help needed at the PTO's Holiday Craft sale on the 19th and 20th, Pippi needing to play clarinet for a holiday concert during her lunch hour on some undetermined Thursday in the future. Christmas caroling here, Dec 21. Going to the Nutcracker, Dec 22. And then we are into Christmas vacation - and Christmas. Looked at that way - it doesn't seem so far away. Yikes.

Though I actually did see an ad one year, shortly after Thanksgiving, that stated in bold letters "Not too late for last minute shopping." I should hope not!

Here we make sure to celebrate Advent. I've got the candles ready for the wreath, and we have several varieties of advent calendars - and of course our Jesse Tree. I don't think we ever made it through all of Advent with the Jesse tree - we have trouble keeping up with it. Maybe this will be the year we succeed.

No comments: