Pages

Friday, November 09, 2007

Thankful for the Sump Pump

The one my in-laws loaned us in the Spring when our basement was flooding. We haven't returned it yet. In fact it's still set up. Which proved to be a blessing when the washer decided that there was no reason at all to stop adding water. Not even when the washer was completely full. So the water came on to the floor, and flooded the catch basin - where the sump pump promptly sent the water into the slop sink.

The washer continued adding water when turned off. And when unplugged. This is when I decided things were just too freaky and called my husband. The shut-off valves for the washer wouldn't turn. So he directed me to the main shut off. Which thankfully, did stop water from pouring into the washer - and subsequently onto the floor. Once the water stopped flowing I was able to turn off the washer valves and turn the main valve back on.

I'm also thankful that I didn't start the washer and leave the house (as I am wont to do) since I was going to visit my sister-in-law and was gone for several hours. Yikes - I don't even want to think about that!

We didn't buy a new dryer this summer because my husband was able to fix the old one. I'm not sure what's going to happen now. I have a feeling we're going to be going washer shopping.

In the meantime, I'm very grateful that old sump pump did its job. Because a broken washer is bad enough - a badly flooded basement would have been too much.

No comments: