Pages

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

A Word About Dreams

Harry told me that he's been having weird dreams. I asked if they were about the Lemony Snicket books, since that's what he's been reading and those would seem to induce weird dreams - but they weren't - they're Harry Potter dreams - and surprise he's Harry in them. Of course the weird thing is that he dreams about the fifth book, which he hasn't read or seen the movie of. I asked him how he knows what's going on in his dreams - and he doesn't.

And that reminded me of a dream I had when I visited Germany the first time. I was fifteen and I stayed with my cousin for a month. My German was practically non-existent (luckily my cousin spoke English) - and although I could understand some, I was afraid to speak it to anyone but the baby. The weird thing though was the dream. Near the end of my stay I had a dream in German. The whole thing was in German - and I wish I could say that I understood it all, even if I forgot it upon awakening, but I didn't. I didn't understand a word of it.

So there you have it, I've dreamed in foreign languages and didn't understand my own dreams.

No comments: