Pages

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Jesse Tree - Day 19 - The Fiery Furnace

It's the twentieth day of December - and can you believe it - we're still doing the Jesse Tree. Yay! A new record!

Today's theme was Exile and Persecution and the symbol "the Fiery Furnace". I must say we didn't dwell too much on Exile and Persecution. But we did read the story of the Fiery Furnace from Daniel. The actual readings were (2 Kings 17:23; Daniel 3:19, 21, 28 and Matthew 5:11-12). We read the whole story of the three men being thrown into the fiery furnace. The children were somewhat familiar with this story from Veggie Tales. And it is a pretty amazing story.



When I was a kid I had an album by the Bill Gaither Trio called "The Sunday School Picnic" (who am I kidding, I still have it). It's full of great, lively Sunday School-type songs. One of the songs is about Shadrach, Meschach and Abednego. Whenever I hear the story - I think of that song.

Shadrach, Meschach and Abednego
by Hugh Mitchell

Three good men lived very long ago
Shadrach, Meschach and Abednego
To and idol they would never bow
Shadrach, Meschach andAbednego

Into a fiery furnace they were therefore cast
Nebuchadnezzar thought they'd never last
But God was there He'd never let them go
Shadrach, Meschach and Abednego.
Without that song, I never would have been able to pronounce those names.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I sang this as a child and then taught it to thousands of kids in Pensacola, Florida while working with Backyard Bible Club. We are using 3 good men in Bible school as a "hero" emphasis...I've searched for hours for this...I couldn't remember "they would never bow" lol!! its in f major thanks again!