Pages

Sunday, April 20, 2008

A Matter of Habit

While watching some of the Pope's visit yesterday, Pippi noticed that one of the nuns being introduced to the Pope wore a white habit.

"Why is she wearing white?"

"That's her habit."

"I thought nuns wore black" (we don't encounter too many nuns in our parish, one doesn't wear a habit at all, another does wear darker colors and a veil; not a full habit though)

"Not all," I explained, "different orders have different kinds of habits; different colors. There are a lot of different orders to choose from if you want to be a nun. Some don't wear habits at all." Then I went on to tell her that I've read that the orders that seem to be attracting the most new members are the ones who have habits.

Pippi saw the sense in that. "If I were going to be a nun, I'd want to wear a habit," she said.

"So people would know you were a nun?" I asked.

"That, and because if I were dressed like that it would remind me that I'm supposed to be worshiping God and praying."

Interesting observation.

2 comments:

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

She's absolutely right.

PJ Hoover said...

I see the logic. Smart kid!