Pages

Friday, April 18, 2008

Poetry Friday - Late Edition


Huh - it's been pointed out to me that it is Friday and I haven't posted poetry. I can't let that happen.

In honor of my Mom posting her first collage of flower pictures, here is a poem for today.

The Flowers
Robert Louis Stevenson

All the names I know from nurse:
Gardener's garters, Shepherd's purse,
Bachelor's buttons, Lady's smock,
And the Lady Hollyhock.

Fairy places, fairy things,
Fairy woods where the wild bee wings,
Tiny trees for tiny dames--
These must all be fairy names!

Tiny woods below whose boughs
Shady fairies weave a house;
Tiny tree-tops, rose or thyme,
Where the braver fairies climb!

Fair are grown-up people's trees,
But the fairest woods are these;
Where, if I were not so tall,
I should live for good and all.


The Poetry Friday round up is at The Well-Read Child.

3 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

Nice poem! And I'm glad you made it in time.

Unknown said...

Thanks Christine! I added you to the roundup this morning. That's a great poem, and your mom's flower collage looks great!

Andromeda Jazmon said...

This is very sweet. I want to live in those fairy flower trees too.