Pages

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Tuesday's Proverb

And lo! the woman comes to meet him, robed like a harlot, with secret designs--She is fickle and unruly, in her home her feet cannot rest; Now she is in the streets, now in the open squares, and at every corner she lurks in ambush--When she seizes him, she kisses him, and with an impudent look says to him: "I owed peace offerings, and today I have fulfilled my vows; So I came out to meet you, to look for you, and I have found you! With coverlets I have spread my couch, with brocaded cloths of Egyptian linen; I have sprinkled my bed with myrrh, with aloes, and with cinnamon. "Come, let us drink our fill of love, until morning, let us feast on love! For my husband is not at home, he has gone on a long journey; A bag of money he took with him, not till the full moon will he return home." She wins him over by her repeated urging, with her smooth lips she leads him astray; He follows her stupidly, like an ox that is led to slaughter; Like a stag that minces toward the net, till an arrow pierces its liver; Like a bird that rushes into a snare, unaware that its life is at stake. So now, O children, listen to me, be attentive to the words of my mouth! Let not your heart turn to her ways, go not astray in her paths; For many are those she has struck down dead, numerous, those she has slain. Her house is made up of ways to the nether world, leading down into the chambers of death. (Proverbs 7:10-27)

Okay, then. I always thought of Proverbs as pithy little statements that give you guidance on how to live a good life - but this reads more like a steamy romance novel!

1 comment:

PJ Hoover said...

Humorous!
I especially like the part:
He follows her stupidly...
OK, better stop there :)